Yes, that’s exactly what the team at SpineZone and Dr. Kam’s book Take Back Control are telling you.
You’ve been lied to.
We’ve all been lied to.
I’m not sure who started the rumor that as we age we’ll have painful back and neck issues and we’ll lose our mobility and be sedentary as a result, but they’ve got some ‘splaining to do.
- Extended rest is necessary to heal back pain.
- Repetitive bending causes back pain.
- Pain is caused by joints being “out of place”.
- Lifting and exercise cause back pain.
- Back pain means you’ll eventually need surgery.
- Surgery will cure back pain.
- Once you injure your back, full recovery is impossible.
None of these things are true, but there is a tiny hint of truth in each one:
- Some rest is needed, but extended rest can cause more harm than good.
- Incorrect repetitive bending can cause back pain and injuries.
- Incorrectly lifting and exercise can cause back pain and injuries.
- Most back injuries do not require surgery to heal.
- Surgery can correct an abnormality, but isn’t a magical solution. Among other things, physical therapy and lifestyle changes also need to occur. Surgery can also restrict mobility even further.
- Full recovery is more than possible. With the right treatment, it’s probable.
SpineZone’s leading edge knowledge on modern pain science will empower you to make informed decisions about your own healing process. We’ll stay focused on your pain, so you can begin focusing on your healing.